Pet Medications: United States
This report forecasts US pet medication retail sales in nominal US dollars for 2021-2025. To illustrate historical trends, total retail sales are provided in annual series from 2016-2020.
This report examines the retail market for medications for domestic dogs and cats, centering on products purchased directly by consumers. These include prescription, over-the-counter (also called OTC or retail), and ""ethical"" products (nonprescription medications that are only distributed to and through veterinarians). The primary focus of this report is on the core types of antiparasitics/parasiticides – heartworm preventatives, flea/tick preventatives, heartworm/ flea combo products, and other dewormers (some of which also target other external parasites such as mosquitoes, flies, ear mites, lice, and sarcoptic mange, and/or other types of internal parasites such as hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, and tapeworms). ""Flea/tick"" can refer to products that provide protection only against fleas and ticks, but can also refer to combination products that additionally protect against worms, lice, mosquitos, mites, etc., except heartworms.
Animal health products for production animals and horses are excluded from this market analysis, as are nutritional supplements for companion animals (including CBD supplements), which are covered in Packaged Facts' January 2021 report Pet Supplements in the U.S.
A full outline of report items by page is available in the Table of Contents.
Related NAICS Codes:
325412 Pharmaceutical Preparation Mfg
325414 Biological Product (except Diagnostic) Mfg
524128 Other Direct Insurance (except Life, Health, and Medical) Carriers
541940 Veterinary Services
- MARKET ENVIRONMENT
- Market Size
- Retail Trends
- Prescription Products
- OTC Products
- Consumer Trends
- Market Opportunities
- INDUSTRY STRUCTURE
- Competitive Overview
- Leading Marketer Profiles
- ABOUT THIS REPORT
- Industry Codes
- LIST OF TABLES & FIGURES
- Figure 1 | US Pet Medication Retail Sales, 2016 - 2025 (US$ bil)
- Table 1 | US Pet Medication Retail Sales, 2016 - 2025 (US$ bil)
- Figure 2 | US Pet Medication Retail Sales by Animal Type, 2020 (%)
- Figure 3 | US Pet Medication Retail Sales by Distribution Channel, 2020 (%)
- Figure 4 | US Pet Medication Retail Sales by Product Type, 2020 (%)
- Table 2 | US Retail Sales of Parasiticides by Product Type: Prescription vs. OTC, 2020
- Table 3 | Channel Choice for Pet Product Purchases in Past Three Months, 2021 (% of dog & cat owners)
- Table 4 | Selected Suppliers to the US Pet Medication Market
- Table 5 | NAICS & SIC Codes Related to Pet Medication